This post was sponsored by Blue Diamond as part of an Influencer Activation and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Looking for fun things to do with kids this summer at home? We have 101+ ideas that you can add to your summer bucket lists for kids to have fun together!
Fun Things to Do With Kids This Summer at Home
We are officially saying goodbye to Zoom calls and at home school because believe it or not we have finally made it to summer and to be honest I think I am happier than the kids!
While summer might not look like it normally does, that doesn’t mean that it can’t be filled with fun things to do with kids this summer!
So we are sharing all kinds of fun things to do with kids this summer that you can do as a family at home to create special moments together as a family all summer long!
One thing we love doing is creating a summer bucket list for kids that the whole family can do together.
Before we start creating our Summer Bucket Lists for Kids
Before we start creating our summer bucket lists for kids we head to our Local Walmart and purchase some good snacks because Walmart is so convenient for all my summer needs with its low-cost, one-stop-shopping solution to save me time and money!
Our favorite go-to snack when we are doing fun things with the kids this summer is eating Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit. I love Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit because it adds a touch of elegance to my normal daily mom life. With delicious flavor combinations like Sea Salt and Whole Blueberry to dynamic favorites like Fiery Ghost Pepper and Tart Cherry, there is a flavor that everyone will love.
Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit is such a great snack that I feel good about eating and feeding them to my kids. They use the finest California almonds and real fruit pieces, packing each serving with an abundance of nutrients and robust flavor.
You can pick these up at the best retailer, Walmart, by ordering online, through grocery pick up or running, and grabbing them in the store. And when you grab them don’t forget to enter Upgrade Your Summer Sweepstakes*.
When you purchase your Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit at Walmart, you can enter for a chance to Upgrade Your Summer by entering to win a backyard makeover that includes the Ultimate Outdoor Movie Theater. Sweepstakes runs from May 26th – July 22nd!
How to Create Summer Bucket Lists for kids
Make a List of Fun Ideas
The first thing you want to do in creating a summer bucket list for kids is to sit down together as a family! Yes, we all sit down together and we write down every single idea that comes out. It might be things like roasting marshmallows to family bike rides around the neighborhood.
Write Down Must-Do Projects
We also take some time to write down the things we have to do during the summer. For us this might include weed pulling, staining the playground, painting the house. The kids might not agree that these are fun, but when we work together everyone has fun and we definitely create memories together.
Create Summer Bucket Lists for Kids
After you have come up with your fun things to do with kids this summer it is time to create your summer bucket lists for kids.
You can do this with a piece of paper, but we prefer to write all the ideas on popsicle sticks and add them to a cute mason jar.
We paint the must-do sticks one color and the fun things to do this summer as another color. That way when it is time to work we know what stick to grab out of the bucket.
Start Creating Memories
Once our jar of fun activities is complete it is time to start creating memories together as a family!
Every time you are ready to do a fun family fun activity, one person draws a stick out of the jar and you do that family fun activity together!
So let’s kick off Summer off right by eating outside, swimming in the pool, staying up late, cooking in the kitchen, and creating memories together!
101+ Fun Things to Do With Kids this Summer at Home
- Swimming – Summer is not complete if you don’t spend your days floating around the pool splashing together as a family. Grab a snack like Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit and enjoy floating around creating memories on splash at a time.
- Nature walks
- Scavenger hunts – A great way to celebrate summer is by creating and doing scavenger hunts. Try to be the first one to find as many things as you can on this Camping scavenger hunt while you do some backyard camping.
- Bike ride around the neighborhood
- Run through the sprinklers
- Sidewalk chalk
- Backyard camping – set up your tent and roast s’mores and camp in the backyard
- Roast s’mores
- Build a treehouse – get the hammers and the nails out and build a family treehouse.
- Make a rope swing
- Plant a garden – there is nothing better than planting a garden and eating what you grow.
- Plant flowers
- Look for ladybugs and rolly pollies – little ones love looking for bugs, so go search for ladybugs and rolly pollies
- Ultimate frisbee
- Play basketball
- Foursquare – bring back old school games and play some foursquare.
- Slip and slide
- Build a lemonade stand
- Fly kites
In the Kitchen:
- Cooking Competition – If you have older kids compete in the kitchen to see who can make the best dish using a “Secret Ingredient” Your kids will be learning cooking skills as well as having fun!
- Bake a treat – just use ingredients you have in the house no need for extreme baking
- Host a Themed Dinner Party
- Decorate cookies – buy pre-sliced cookies and bake them, Grab a can of icing and some sprinkles and let the kids go wild.
- Make dinner together –
- Make homemade ice cream
- Have a root beer tasting – nothing is better than getting a bunch of different kinds of root beer and have everyone try to guess which is which.
- Make caramel corn
- Create a new cupcake – pick a theme and let them create according to the theme
- Make breakfast for dinner
- Eat ice cream outside
Arts and Crafts:
- Do salad spinner spin art – grab your salad spinner and do spin art. There are some really great tutorials on it.
- Paint on Canvas
- Do Handprint art
- Finger paint
- Make a countdown chain – celebrate something exciting coming up by making a countdown chain.
- Make friendship bracelets
- Make paper airplanes
- Make Origami – Kids love doing origami, so bust out the paper and make some origami.
- Make Cootie Catchers
- Make puppets
- Make cardboard cars – grab your cardboard boxes and have everyone make a car, then grab some Blue Diamond Almonds & Fruit at Walmart, and watch a movie.
- Make superhero capes
- Learn to sew
- Make playdoh
- Make Wands out of Sticks
- Play with shaving cream
- Compass painting – grab a compass and some watercolors and dip the end in the paint and then use it to create painting masterpieces.
- Make toilet paper binoculars
- Weekly game night
- Play charades as a family – Disney charades is a great option that everyone loves.
- Play Never Have I Ever for kids
- Play Truth or Dare for Kids
- Play summer bingo
- Play glow in the dark tag – grab some glowsticks and get decked from head to toe and play tag outside in the dark.
- Hide and seek
- Water balloon fight
- Pillow fights
- Create an obstacle course
- Simon Says
- Mother May I – another old school classic Say “Mother May I” and something you want to do to get to mother. Then the mother decides if you can move or not…
- Red Light Green Light
- Ping Pong
- Spike ball
- Have a video game night
- Water balloon volleyball
- Play card games
On Rainy Days:
- Jump in the puddles
- Look for rainbows
- Watch rainy day movies
- Dance in the rain
- Have a family read-a-thon
- Create a summer reading program or find a local one
- Make a science experiment
- Learn a language
- Write in a journal with journal prompts for kids
- Start a gratitude journal
- Learn to play the piano
- Learn to plan an instrument
- Create a vision board
- Build with legos
- Build lego balloon cars
- Go for a family run
- Do Yoga
- Workout together
- Have a jumping jack competition
- Have a sit-up competition
Around the House:
- Build a fort
- Do puzzles
- Build castles out of toilet paper rolls
Misc other fun things to do with kids this summer
Here are some other fun things to do with kids this summer that you want to make sure you get a chance to do!
- Create care packages for military men and women
- Make late-night milkshakes
- Watch the Sunset
- Wake up early and watch the sunrise
- Find new ways to connect as a family
- Paint a room
- Stain the playground
- Pull weeds
- Clean out a closet
- Clean out your old clothes that are too small
- Donate old toys / books
- Clean out the car
- Wash the cars
There you have it! 101+ Fun things to do with kids this summer! What would you add to the list? Share in the comments!
*No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chance of winning. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Must be at least 21+ and a legal resident of the 50 U.S./DC. The Sweepstakes will consist of one (1) random drawing period to award (131) prizes. Sweepstakes begins on 5/26/20 at 12:00:01 a.m. (midnight) ET and ends on 7/22/20 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. To enter and for Official Rules and other important terms and conditions, visit upgrade-your-summer.com. Sponsor: Fuel Partnerships, Inc., 6111 Broken Sound Parkway NW, Suite #265, Boca Raton, FL 33487.
Michele is a Family Life Educator with her degree in marriage and family studies. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!