Cooking artichokes is made much easier with your instant pot! This recipe for Instant Pot Artichokes is going to be your new favorite method for delicious artichokes.
Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe
One of my favorite things in life are artichokes, but sometimes they can be difficult to cook! Not anymore because the Instant Pot makes cooking artichokes so much easier. Try this easy Instant Pot artichoke recipe to enjoy your artichokes even quicker and easier now!
Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 25
Total time: 35
Ingredients for Instant Pot Artichokes
3 medium sized artichokes
3 small lemon slices
Optional toppings: lemon, butter, salt
The Following Tools Will Be Helpful When Making These!
How to Make this Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe
To prepare your artichokes for cooking, remove the stem and slice off the top. You can easily use kitchen scissors to snip off the spikey top of each leaf.
Place the steamer rack into your Instant Pot and add the water. For an 8-quart model, add 1 & ½ cups of water. For a 6-quart model, add 1 cup of water. For a 3-quart model, add ¾ cups of water.
Once your water is in, add a few slices of lemon to the water and place your artichokes stem side down on the steamer rack.
When everything is all set, replace the lid and make sure it’s sealed. Make sure the valve is on the “sealing” position so that it’s all ready for pressure cooking.
Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. When its finished, quickly release the pressure to avoid letting your artichokes get too soft.
Serve immediately and enjoy with your choice of yummy toppings or dips!
Tips and tricks for Instant Pot Artichokes
- The timing of this recipe is intended for medium size artichokes, however, you can adjust easily to different sizes. If you have small artichokes, cook them on high pressure for 10 minutes. If you have especially large artichokes, cook them on high pressure for 30 minutes. They should be perfect!
- If you want to avoid mushy artichokes, make sure that you quick-release the pressure and take the lid off as soon as you are able to. The longer that steam stays in with your artichokes, the mushier they will get!
- Do not cut your artichokes before you cook them! They will have the tendency to overcook so if you are planning to cut them in half or in any other way, wait until you are finished cooking them!
- The best way to enjoy cooked artichokes is with a delicious dip. Get creative with what you try with them, but anything with a bit of butter and tang will be great.
What is the best way to store artichokes?
Before cooking, artichokes should be stored in the refrigerator and be kept covered. Raw artichokes don’t have a huge shelf life, so keep them away from air and warmth to keep them fresh.
After you are finished cooking them, they should be stored about the same way. Place them in an air-tight container inside the fridge and they will last for about 3-5 days after cooking.
How to prep artichokes for cooking in your instant pot
Preparing artichokes actually isn’t as difficult as you may think!
The most important things are to remove the stem and the pokey ends of the leaves.
Cut off the stem, and if desired cut a bit higher to allow the artichoke to sit flat while steaming. Then take some kitchen scissors and simply trim off the points of each of the stems! Some people choose to cut off the outer layer of leaves if they look but that’s a personal choice!
What should I look for when selecting artichokes?
There are a few things that can help you tell if you are choosing a good fresh artichoke.
The artichoke should feel heavy, firm, and not easily bent. There should be too much give to any part of the artichoke, especially the stem. If you pick it up and it feels heavier than it looks, you’ve picked a good one!
Also, the leaves should be fairly tight and close to each other. The artichoke should be packed tight, and not have drooping leaves that leave space between them.
If you still aren’t sure, squeeze one of the leaves. If you hear a squeaking sound you’ve got a good artichoke!
How to clean artichokes
If you want to go through each leaf of the artichoke and scrub it under clean water, go ahead, but you can also try this simpler method.
Grab a bowl and fill it with cool water. Add ¼-½ cup of vinegar and add in the artichoke. Let the artichoke soak for 10-15 minutes and the vinegar will work it’s magic cleaning the artichoke for you. Give it a quick rinse and it’s all ready.
This method of cleaning is great for all kinds of produce!
When are artichokes in season?
Artichokes are for the most part in season between march and may!
However, produce seasons may change depending on where you live. It’s always a good idea to do a bit of research on where you live and when things are in season locally for the freshest and cheapest fruits and vegetables.
Share with us in the comments how your Instant Pot Artichokes turn out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Be sure to serve your Instant Pot Artichokes with these great dips!
- 3 medium sized artichokes
- The 8 Quart Models need 1.5 cups of liquid.
- The 6 Quart Models need 1 cup of liquid.
- The 3 Quart Models need .75 cups of liquid.
- 3 small lemon slices
- Optional Toppings for serving: Lemon, Butter, Salt
- Prepare the artichokes for cooking by removing the stem and slicing off the top. Use kitchen scissors to snip off the spikey tip of each leaf.
- Place the steamer rack into the bottom of the instant pot and pour the required amount of water inside. Drop a few lemon slices into the water and place the artichokes, stem side down, onto the rack.
- Replace the lid and seal it properly. Move the valve to the “sealing” position to prepare for pressure cooking.
Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes and quickly release the pressure when done.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.