Instant Pot Asparagus are so easy to make. These make the perfect side dish to pair with any meal and they incredibly fast to make. Once you make asparagus in your instant pot you won’t ever make them any other way.
Instant Pot Asparagus
It doesn’t get any easier than steaming asparagus in your Instant Pot. It really is as easy as set it and forget it! And you know how much I love these kinds of recipes!
Once I start seeing asparagus at the store for a decent price I start picking them up on my weekly grocery trip.
Being able to make asparagus in the Instant Pot is so easy, and I always make sure to buy extra asparagus so I can make asparagus soup with some of my leftovers!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. READ OUR DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE.
Asparagus Instant Pot Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: (Including waiting for pressure to build) 10 minutes
- 1 lb asparagus
- Water (1.5 cups for a 6 quart instant pot, 2 cups for an 8 quart Instant Pot)
- Optional: lemon slices, coarse salt, lemon pepper
You’ll also want to have the following tools to make it easier:
- Good Knife to cut through the Asparagus.
- Cutting board
- An Instant Pot
- A metal trivet
- Tongs to help remove the asparagus
How to cook Instant Pot Asparagus
- The first thing you want to do is prepare your asparagus by thoroughly washing the asparagus and cutting off the thick, woody stalk ends.
- Next, place the asparagus on the cooking rack inside the instant pot.
- Add the water and lemon slices.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot and lock it in place. Make sure the cover valve is in the “seal” position.
- Select the Steam option and set the timer for 0 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure.
- Remove with tongs.
- Serve with lemons, and sprinkle with coarse salt and lemon pepper.
Be sure you pressure release as soon as it starts being to prevent a mushy mess!
Tips and Tricks for Perfectly Steamed Asparagus in the Instant Pot
- The hardest thing about cooking asparagus in an instant pot is making sure you don’t overcook them. I have found cooking them with the timer makes them perfect every single time. Of course, if your asparagus are super thin this might still overcook them.
- Choose asparagus that are all the same size. This allows them to cook evenly.
- The size of asparagus I like to use is the ones that have a diameter of about 1/2 inch.
- Experiment with different flavors when it comes to your asparagus. These are a lemon flavor but try different seasonings and flavors.
What is the rack for in the Instant Pot?
The metal rack inside the instant pot is to keep your food out of the water while it is cooking. If the asparagus were simply set inside the Instant Pot without the rack, it wouldn’t cook evenly and would not have a crisp texture.
I think the rack that comes with it works perfectly, but I know a lot of people really like having a steamer basket for vegetables in their Instant Pot as well. Really though, either one works great!
What is the advantage of cooking asparagus in an Instant Pot?
There are lots of great different methods when it comes to cooking asparagus. The reason we think cooking asparagus in an Instant Pot is a great option is that it’s so dang easy! All you have to do is set the asparagus in, set the timer and forget about it until it’s done!
The other great thing about cooking asparagus in pressure cooker is that it takes only 10 minutes from start to finish. While roasting asparagus is a delicious option, it does take more than double the amount of time so when you’re in a hurry, this is the way to go!
I also love that I can cook this up during the summer without having to turn my oven on and heat my entire house up.
How do I store leftovers?
If you have leftover asparagus, you can definitely save it for later. All you need to do is place the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
How do I reheat asparagus?
If you have leftover asparagus that you want to reheat, simply place the leftover asparagus onto a cookie sheet and place it under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is warmed. You can reheat the asparagus in the microwave but the texture will come out a little bit soggy. By reheating the your asparagus under the broiler, you’ll have a nice crispy outside with a soft inside.
But an even better option for reheating and using up the rest of your asparagus is making creamy asparagus soup!
Why do you trim asparagus?
It’s always an important step to trim off the ends of your asparagus before cooking. The ends of the asparagus are tough and woody so your asparagus will be so much more enjoyable once those little ends are cut off. The asparagus stalk will actually break right where it starts to get that woody and tough texture so you can either snap the ends off or cut them.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and don’t forget to rate it below! We always love knowing how your recipe turns out! And don’t forget to save this easy recipe to your favorite Pinterest board! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram at Confessions of Parenting to show me your finished product!
Check out these other great Instant Pot Recipes!
- - 1 lb asparagus
- - Water (1.5 cups for a 6 quart instant pot, 2 cups for an 8 quart instant pot)
- - Optional: lemon slices, coarse salt, lemon pepper
- Prepare your asparagus by thoroughly washing and cutting off the thick woody stalk ends.
- Place asparagus on the cooking rack inside the Instant Pot.
- Add the required amount of water and lemon slices, if desired.
- Place the cover on Instant Pot and lock it in place. Put the cover valve in the “seal” position.
- Select the Steam option and set the timer for 0 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure when the timer goes off.
- Serve with lemons, a sprinkle of coarse salt, and lemon pepper.
Be sure to release pressure as soon as it beeps!
Michele is a Family Life Educator. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!