Hoping to build more closeness and appreciation between you and that special someone? Try these 50 couples’ journal prompts! Just download, print, and start connecting.
Whether you’ve been in your relationship for just a few months or for decades, journaling together can help you deepen your love for each other. Writing is a great way to improve your view of your partner. If you feel like you’re stuck in a rut, give these journal prompts a try and see how your outlook begins to change! When you’re done, you will have a beautiful record of your relationship.
If you’re looking for more prompts to use with your family, check out our Valentine’s Day Journal Prompts and 100 Gratitude Journal Prompts.
Benefits of Writing Prompts
Journal prompts are beneficial in so many ways.
- Writing can help you sort through complicated emotions or problems
- They can help you focus your attention where it really matters
- Journaling with your partner can improve your communication
- It can strengthen your relationship
How to Use These Prompts
There are so many ways to use these couple journal prompts. Here are a few.
- Work through these prompts on your own, picking one or two each day to write about.
- Get a shared journal and write answers back and forth to each other to get to know one another on a different level.
- Print the prompts onto small slips of paper and place them in a jar or other container. Pull out one question to answer together before bed and write about it or even talk about it.
- For a fun date night, pick 5-10 questions and see if you can answer them the way your partner would!
Couples Journal Prompts
Purchase a printable version of these questions here, or refer to this page whenever you need it!
- What is your happiest memory together?
- Describe your partner in only three words.
- What are the two qualities you love most about your partner?
- What is something that can always make your partner laugh?
- What is something your partner does that makes you laugh?
- What goals do you and your partner have for your future together?
- What does your partner do that makes you feel loved?
- In what ways are you grateful for your partner and your relationship?
- What are your shared values?
- Finish the sentence: I feel happiest when…
- What do you remember about the first time you and your partner met?
- How do your similarities with each other improve your relationship?
- How are your differences a benefit to your relationship?
- Finish the sentence: Healthy relationships are based on….
- If you and your partner won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
- What topics are difficult for you to discuss with your partner?
- If you could travel anywhere as a couple, where would you go, and why?
- What have you learned about yourself from this relationship?
- What are some things that you consider “red flags” in a relationship?
- What small changes might make this relationship even more satisfying?
- What is your communication style as a couple? How can this be improved upon?
- Do you enjoy romantic gestures from your partner? Give an example.
- What should loyalty in a romantic relationship look like?
- Do you have any relationship role models? Describe what you admire about them.
- What does forgiveness in a relationship look like?
- What would you consider an unforgivable offense in a relationship?
- What is your favorite way to show love towards your partner?
- In what ways does my partner “have my back”?
- How do you and your partner handle disagreement?
- Write about your first kiss with your partner
- Write about the first time you said “I love you” to your partner
- As a child, what did you learn from the adults around you about romantic relationships?
- What is the best date you have been on with your partner?
- If you could go back and change one thing about the beginning of your relationship, what would it be?
- How does your partner inspire you?
- If you could pick a song or a movie that describes your relationship, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing about your partner’s body?
- What traditions do you have as a couple?
- What foods do you enjoy eating or cooking together?
- In what ways has this relationship changed you?
- In what ways is your intimate/sexual relationship with your partner working, and in what ways could it be improved?
- What is the most important thing you have learned about your partner since you met?
- What are your spiritual/religious beliefs as a couple? If you have different beliefs, how do you manage those differences?
- What do you do that helps you show up as your best and most authentic self in your relationship?
- How do you handle it when your partner has a bad day? How does your partner handle it when you have a bad day?
- What are your views about money and finances? Do you share those with your partner?
- What is a project that you and your partner enjoy working on together, or would like to start?
- What is a place that is special to you and your partner?
- How do you support each other’s interests and hobbies?
- How do you feel about your partner’s friends? How does your partner feel about your friends?
Do you have any other great couples journal prompt ideas? Share them in the comments so we can add them to the list!