Wanting that hearty healthy tortilla soup without all the prep? Try our healthy chicken tortilla soup crock pot recipe that is simple and delicious!
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Since I have become an adult I have become a huge fan of all different kinds of soups like broccoli cheddar soup and even cabbage soup. There is something about a light soup paired with a rustic bread that is the perfect comfort food to me.
Another favorite for me is chicken tortilla soup, but not just any chicken tortilla soup, I am usually in the mood for a healthy version that can be cooked up in the crockpot in no time at all.
Let’s be honest, I am all about hitting the easy button as a busy mom! Meet this healthy chicken tortilla soup crockpot recipe!
This healthy chicken tortilla crockpot soup is way easy… I sometimes call it my dump and go soup, because it is almost as easy as opening a few things and tossing them in the crockpot!
This seriously is the best slow cooker chicken tortilla soup.
I love to make this recipe for chicken tortilla soup in the crockpot on those cold winter days or when I am feeling a little under the weather. This really is the perfect crockpot soup recipe when you are short on time.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Crockpot Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot Recipe
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 10 ounce can low sodium black beans
1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 14 ounce can green chiles
1 small onion- chopped
3 garlic cloves- minced
1 12 ounce bag of frozen sweet corn
32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chilli powder
For tortilla strips:
4 corn tortillas
1/2 lime – zested and juiced
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
Sour cream, P
Pico de gallo
How to Make Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Crockpot
To make this healthy chicken tortilla soup in the crockpot you will first want to spray the bottom of your Crock-Pot so that your chicken won’t stick.
Next, place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Then, add all the remaining ingredients right on top of your chicken.
Stir so that everything is uniform and even.
Set your slow cooker to high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours depending on your schedule.
About 30 minutes before you are going to serve your healthy chicken tortilla soup, remove your chicken breasts and shred.
Then, put your shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and let cook for the remaining time.
Add the juice of half of a lime before serving.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Tortilla Chip Toppers
For the cilantro lime tortilla chip toppers, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
Using a pizza cutter, slice your tortillas into tiny strips.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread out your tortilla strips evenly.
Spray with cooking spray again and squeeze the other half of lime juice onto the strips.
Sprinkle with lime zest, cilantro, and salt if desired.
Bake for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Top your healthy chicken tortilla soup with your tortilla strips and your choice of garnishes.
Tips and tricks for this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot Recipe
- If you have a stand mixer like a kitchen aid, try shredding your chicken with your dough hook. It will shred so easily and make your work easier.
- If you are short on time or don’t have a slow cooker, you can absolutely make this on your stovetop. Use the same directions in a large pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the onion is soft and the chicken is ready to shred.
- This recipe is so forgiving for changes and substitutions! Make it your own. Try adding different beans, or adjusting the spice level to your family’s preference.
- If you like your tortilla soup extra spicy, try adding ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper for the perfect kick.
How long will this healthy chicken tortilla crockpot soup last when stored?
In the fridge, this healthy chicken tortilla crockpot soup should last about 3-4 days. Make sure it is in an air-tight container. It reheats easily on the stove or in the microwave.
If you want it to last even longer try freezing it!
Can I freeze this chicken tortilla soup recipe?
Yes! This chicken tortilla soup recipe should freeze no problem.
Just put the soup in an air-tight container or a freezer-safe bag and place it in the freezer. Make sure you cool down the soup in the fridge before freezing to keep it safe from bacteria.
I love storing it in the freezer in single-serve containers which makes it so easy for having leftovers for lunch or sending them to work with my husband.
How do I make my chicken Tortilla soup thicker?
If you like an extra thick soup try this tip.
While you are cooking your soup, mix together a small amount of flour and water. When it becomes a thin paste, add it to your soup mixture. Be sure you whisk it really well when you are adding it so it does not become lumpy. This should help thicken your soup great.
What goes well with chicken tortilla soup?
Although this soup is delicious, filling, and wonderful on its own, it’ll go well with a number of sides.
Try some extra tortilla strips, Mexican style rice, or even some small quesadillas. My family’s favorite topping is guacamole!
Share with us in the comments how your Tortilla Soup turns out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Check out these other great Soups:
- TORTILLA SOUP
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can low sodium black beans
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14 ounce can green chiles
- 1 small onion- chopped
- 3 garlic cloves- minced
- 1 12 ounce bag of frozen sweet corn
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 lime
- TORTILLA STRIPS
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 lime - zested and juiced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt (optional)
- Garnishes: Lime, Avocado, cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro
- Spray the bottom of the slow cooker, place the chicken breasts in the bottom.
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir it until the spices are more evenly distributed.
- Set your slow cooker to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker to warm and allow the meat to rest in the soup for 30 minutes. Squeeze half of the lime into the soup and stir before serving.
- Serve with tortilla strips piled on top with your choice of additional garnishes.
DIRECTIONS FOR SOUP
DIRECTIONS FOR CILANTRO LIME TORTILLA STRIPS
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the corn tortillas into little strips.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the tortilla strips out evenly.
- Spray with cooking spray again. Squeeze the juice from half a lime over the strips and sprinkle the lime zest and cilantro over the strips. If desired, add a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or just until golden brown.
- This is a slow cooker meal but you can easily make this on the stovetop as well. To make on the stove follow the same directions, but simmer the soup for about 30 minutes or until the onion is cooked through and the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- This recipe is very forgiving to many changes. Feel free to change the type of beans, or adjust the spices to your liking!
- To make this soup extra spicy, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Yum!
Don’t forget to save this Tortilla Soup Recipe on Pinterest so you can find it next time you are looking for a healthy chicken tortilla soup your family will love!
Michele is a Family Life Educator with her degree in marriage and family studies. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!