Pizza night just got even better thanks to this homemade cheese pizza recipe. With an easy homemade crust and lots of yummy cheese, this will become your family’s favorite classic cheese pizza!
Homemade Cheese Pizza
It’s no secret that my family loves pizza! We definitely have these classic cheese pizza at least once a week. Sometimes we even shake things up and make chicken pesto pizza or pepperoni pizza, but homemade cheese pizza is what my toddlers request most.
So many people are intimidated by making pizza and think that it’s difficult. But I can promise you that it’s not as hard as you think!
The best part about this pizza recipe is that you can make little personal pizzas and customize your toppings.
I promise you that your family will love this yummy classic cheese pizza will become a weekly staple at your house just like it is at ours.
Classic Cheese Pizza
Yield: One 12 inch pizza
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Ingredients for Classic Cheese Pizza
1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 envelope Rapid Rising Yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)*
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-2 cups pizza sauce
1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Classic Cheese Pizza
First, preheat your oven to 425°F and prepare a pizza pan with cooking spray, set aside. If you are using a pizza stone, put it in the oven to preheat.
Next, in a large bowl or stand mixer, mix 1 cup of flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
Now you need to measure and test the temperature of your water. You want the water to be warm (about 105 degrees F). When the temperature is just right, add it to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Mix for one minute or until fully incorporated.
After the dough is well mixed, form a ball. The dough should be sticky, but not too sticky. If it is too sticky to handle, add flour 1 Tablespoon at a time until you can handle it. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 4 minutes.
Next, cover with a kitchen cloth in a temperate area and let the dough rise for about 10 minutes.
Spread the dough evenly to fill your greased and prepared pizza pan or baking sheet.
Now top with sauce, cheese, and desired toppings.
Bake on the lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Finally, let your homemade cheese pizza cool for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Classic Cheese Pizza
- Do sure not to add too much flour. Only add enough so you can handle it. Too much flour will make the dough tough and chewy.
- Be sure to spread the crust completely to the edge of the 12inch baking pan. Pizza dough tends to shrink a little bit if you don’t spread it out or toss it to the correct size you want it to be.
- If you are using a pizza stone, you do not need to grease the bottom.
- If you are using a pizza stone, be sure to preheat it in your oven before putting the pizza dough on. This will help the pizza to cook more evenly.
- If you want a more flavorful crust, brush it with olive oil and a pinch of garlic salt before you cook it. This will add just the right amount of extra flavor and add a beautiful finish to your pizza.
How can I store my homemade cheese pizza?
Everyone knows that left-over pizza is delicious, but how do you store it? You can put your homemade cheese pizza slices in airtight containers in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend freezing them, though.
Another idea is to put a slice or two in a Ziploc bag and save it for someone’s lunch the next day! It’s an easy way to pack lunches and get rid of leftovers.
Can I double this classic cheese pizza recipe?
Yes! This recipe is perfect to double or even triple. You can make this recipe as big as you want. You can also half everything if you are cooking for only one.
If you have a big family you can use the help of others to toss the dough or knead the dough. I find that my family loves being involved in this process. They also all really like picking their toppings, spreading the sauce, and making their own personal pizzas. This recipe is a great way to get your family together and happy.
Can I freeze my homemade pizza dough?
Uh oh. Did you make too much? It happens to the best of us. When there is too much dough and not enough time to cook it all, complications can happen. The good news is you CAN freeze your pizza dough! Just be sure to let it fully rise before freezing it.
There are several different ways you can freeze your dough. You can shape it into the way you will be using it or you can leave it in a neat ball. I like to shape mine into a ball and put it in a gallon freezer bag.
You can freeze your pizza dough for up to 3 months! When you are ready to use it again just pull it out and let it thaw in your refrigerator overnight.
What if I don’t have mozzarella cheese for my homemade cheese pizza?
No mozzarella, no problem! The great thing about homemade cheese pizza is that you can use whatever type of cheese fits your fancy! In fact, putting multiple types of cheese is an excellent way to add flavor and dimension to your pizza pie.
I like to add Colby jack, mozzarella, and cheddar. Feel free to add whatever type of cheese you like!
Share with us in the comments how your Classic Cheese Pizza Recipe turns out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Check out these other great Pizza Recipes!
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Rapid Rising Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)*
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Additional toppings
- Preheat oven to 425°F and prepare a pizza pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- Measure and test the temperature of your water. When the temperature is correct, add it to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Mix for one minute or until fully incorporated.
- The dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. If it is too sticky to handle, add flour 1 Tablespoon at a time until you can handle it. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 4 minutes.
- Let the dough rise for 10 minutes.
- Spread the dough evenly to fill greased pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and desired toppings.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Don’t forget to save this Classic Cheese Pizza Recipe on Pinterest so you can find it next time you are looking for a quick and easy meal your family will love!
Michele Tripple is a renowned author and expert in the fields of parenting, relationships, and personal development. With her degree in marriage and family studies, her experience as a Family Life Educator, and over a decade of experience as a professional writer, Michele has authored books that provide practical advice and insights into improving family dynamics and personal growth. Her work is celebrated for its blend of research-driven information and relatable, real-world applications. Michele has been a keynote speaker at conferences and has contributed to numerous publications and media outlets, solidifying her reputation as an authoritative voice in her field and helping families build relationships.