Lemon Cake Mix Cookies are so easy to make and ready to pop in the oven in just a few minutes. With just a couple of basic ingredients, you will be enjoying lemon cake cookies in less than 20 minutes.
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
With Spring in the air, I am craving just about anything lemon so I decided to make these lemon cake cookies with a lemon icing glaze. And let me tell you they are so good!
Lemon Cake Cookies
Makes: 24 cookies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
1 box lemon cake mix, 15.25 oz
⅓ cup vegetable oil
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
1 cup of powdered sugar
4-6 Tablespoons of milk
The Following Tools Will Be Helpful When Making These!
- Mixing bowl
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Cookie Scoop
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooling Racks
How to Make this Lemon Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with pre-cut parchment paper
- Mix in a large bowl, the lemon cake mix, oil, and eggs. With an electric mixer, mix at a low speed for 1-2 minutes or until the dough is completely combined.
- Scoop with a medium-sized cookie scoop lemon cookie dough onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should be golden on the edges and cracking on top.
- Let your cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes. When they are cool enough to touch you can move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Lemon Glaze
While your cookies are baking and cooling it is the perfect time to make your lemon glaze.
- Whisk your powdered sugar, milk, and lemon zest together.
- Mix to desired consistency. If it is too runny add powdered sugar, if too thick thin with milk.
- Drizzle or dip your lemon cookies, whichever you prefer.
Tips and tricks for Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- You don’t want to move these cookies to a cooling rack right out of the oven. The cake mix makes these cookies extra soft and they may crumble if you try to move them before they are cool enough. Be patient. I promise it’ll be worth it!
- Don’t let your cookies overbake! They will look a bit doughy on the inside when they start to get golden on the outside, but they’ll continue to cook on the cookie sheet and be perfect when they cool!
- If the dough is sticky, place it in the fridge for a few minutes.
- The secret to your cookies not browning on the bottom is using parchment paper.
- Want more lemon flavor? Add lemon zest to the lemon cake mix cookie batter.
How do I store lemon cookies?
You can store these cake mix cookies in an airtight container or cookie jar on your counter to keep them nice and fresh.
If stored like this they should last about 2 weeks on your counter. If you want them to stay super soft, try adding a piece of bread to your container. It’ll help keep that moisture in the container with the cookies and make the softness last longer.
Can I freeze this cookie dough?
This cookie dough should freeze just fine. If you choose to freeze it, you’ll want to use your cookie scoop and scoop out the dough onto a sheet. Once frozen, move to a freezer-safe container until you’re ready to bake.
When you’re ready to bake, pull out the dough that you need and let it thaw on the counter for 30 minutes before baking!
To freeze these cookies after they are baked you will want to wait for them to completely cool.
Once cooled, place them on a tray and freeze them until frozen. Then place the cookies in a freezer bag and get all the air out of it.
These should last for about 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to enjoy, remove the desired amount from the bag and place them on the counter to thaw. You can microwave it for a few minutes, but you need to be careful because this can make them very hot and burn you.
Check out Great Cake Mix Cookie Recipes:
Love what you see? Leave a comment and don’t forget to rate it below! We always love knowing how your recipe turns out! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @micheletripple to show me your finished product!
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookie Indredients
- 1 box lemon cake mix, 15.25 oz
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Icing for Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 4-6 Tablespoons of milk
- Lemon Zest
- You’ll want to start out by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Once you’re finished with that, you can start preparing a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I like getting these pre-cut parchment paper sheets because they are way more convenient and I’m never wasting any paper.
- When your cookie sheet is ready you can set it aside.
- Now it’s time to make your dough! Grab a large bowl and add to it the cake mix, oil, and eggs. With an electric mixer, mix at a low speed for 1-2 minutes or until the dough is completely combined.
- And that’s it! The dough is ready. Now all you need to do is scoop your cookies.
- Use a medium-sized cookie scoop to scoop your cookies onto your sheet. You should end up with about 24 cookies. You can use a spoon if that’s what you have but I highly recommend getting a cookie scoop like this one. It’s a lifesaver!
- When you are finished scooping your cookies, bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should be golden on the edges and cracking on top.
- Let your cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and when they are cool enough to touch you can move them to a wire rack to cool fully.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the lemon icing glaze by mixing your powdered sugar, milk and lemon zest. Be sure it is not too runny. If it is, just add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick add a little bit of milk.