Take your tacos from good to great with this Avocado Lime Crema recipe! It adds the perfect touch of creamy zing to your dish and takes less than five minutes to make!
Avocado Lime Crema Recipe
If you asked my husband, he would tell you that dressings and sauces are my love language.
But seriously, I absolutely love any kind of dressing or dip that I can smother my food in. And I would have to say that this avocado lime crema is my absolute favorite thing to dip chips in or pour on my tilapia fish tacos with fresh homemade mango salsa.
Avocado lime crema is so simple to make and only takes a few ingredients. Don’t let pitting an avocado or zesting a lime scare you away from whipping avocado lime crema up.
Avocado Lime Crema Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for Avocado Lime Crema
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime – zested and juiced
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons milk or cream
This post may contain affilate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
You’ll also want to have the following tools to make it easier:
How to Make this Avocado Lime Crema Recipe
It takes almost no time and effort to prepare this crema that will completely upgrade your taco nights.
Start by roughly chopping your avocado and removing the pit. Grab a bowl and add the avocado.
Next, you will finely chop your cilantro and zest and juice your lime. Add the cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest to the bowl.
Add your remaining ingredients and whip together using an electric mixer until very smooth.
Wasn’t that easy? You now have a delicious addition to nachos, tacos, chicken, fish, or salads!
Tips and tricks for Avocado Lime Crema
- You may want this avocado lime crema to be thin enough for drizzling, or thick enough for dolloping. It’s super simple to adjust the consistency. If you want it a bit thinner or thicker, just add a bit less or more milk before you mix it together.
- Avocado lime crema sauce is best served fresh. Make it right before you need it to get the best flavor!
- You can store this recipe, but it will likely turn gray on top. If you need to store it for the next day, you’ll need to remove the top layer before serving. Don’t store for more than 24 hours.
- Make sure your avocado is nice and ripe. You want to avoid an avocado with brown spots, but you also want it to be super soft and smooth so that it blends easily into this sauce. If you want detailed information on picking out the perfect avocado, check this post out!
Can I store this avocado lime crema?
You can, but it is going to be best served fresh.
You should not store more than 24 hours, but if you need to store it for the next day you can. You may have to remove the top layer of crema because of discoloration but it should be safe to serve.
Luckily this recipe is ready so fast you can have it fresh whenever you need it!
What is crema sauce?
Crema is a sauce popular in Mexican cuisine and it is so delicious! It is a thickened cream-based sauce that is often served with Mexican dishes.
The most similar thing in American cuisine is sour cream, but crema is often a bit tangier and adds a boost of flavor.
Can you buy crema?
You sure can! You can absolutely buy crema in the United States and it is oh-so-delicious.
However, with a recipe as simple and yummy as this, you won’t ever need to get store-bought again!
What can I put avocado lime crema on?
You could try this on anything!
People usually serve their crema on Mexican-style dishes, but it can extend far beyond that.
Share with us in the comments how your Avocado Lime Crema turns out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Check out these other great healthy recipes:
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime - zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix all ingredients together using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Serve on tacos, nachos, chicken, fish or salads.
- You can adjust the consistency of the avocado lime crema sauce to your liking by adding more or less milk.
- Try to prepare and use your avocado-lime crema fresh, if possible.
- You can store avocado lime cream overnight in an airtight container but it may turn a bit gray. Scraping off the top layer helps a little bit with the discoloration, but it is still best enjoyed the first day it is prepared.