Fish tacos are a great way to include a healthy protein into your family’s routine. Try out these Tilapia Fish Tacos and your kids will be begging for seconds!
How to Make Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe
~We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you know me, then you know that I love summer because of the delicious and easy recipes I can throw together on busy days. I especially enjoy being able to grill. So recipes like lemon garlic herb shrimp and grilled lemon herb chicken skewers are my favorite to cook up!
You don’t have to grill your tilapia for these delicious tilapia fish tacos though. Pan-frying is just as quick and it doesn’t sacrifice any flavor, trust me!
And the best part about these tilapia fish tacos is how much my kids love them. I never hear any complaints when I make these for dinner. In fact, my kids often request tilapia fish tacos and even go back for seconds.
Gasp! I know!
I know how it goes for us moms. It’s no fun to hear kids gripe about what you’re cooking for dinner, am I right?
Tilapia Fish Tacos are also great because you can customize them to your liking. Our favorite toppings are mango salsa and avocado lime crema. Trust me when I say that mango salsa and avocado lime crema will take your tilapia fish taco to the next level.
You will absolutely love this simple and delicious tilapia fish taco recipe.
Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Tilapia Fish Tacos
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon oil
1 lb tilapia
8 Flour tortillas
Optional toppings: Mango Salsa, Avocado Lime Crema, avocados and fresh cilantro.
How to Make this Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe
First, you want to get the seasoning ready for your tilapia. In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper until they are well combined.
Sprinkle both sides of the fish with the seasoning and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the fish to the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. To make sure that the fish is cooked through, look for an opaque color and a flaky texture.
Take your fish off the heat and set aside to cool. After about 5 minutes, slice the fish and assemble your tacos!
Get creative with your toppings. We love to add a lime crema, some avocado, and mango salsa! Yum!
Tips and Tricks for Tilapia Fish Tacos
- Tilapia is a very mild fish so don’t be afraid to lay on the seasoning! The fish will soak up any flavor that you put on. You could also sub out a different fish for a stronger fish tacos flavor if that is what you are looking for.
- If you have extra time or want to prep your dinner ahead of time, season your fish early and keep in the fish in a sealed container until you are ready to fry. The fish will soak in that flavor better and make for a juicier, more flavorful fish.
- Try our recipes for some delicious toppings that go well with this dish. Our Mango Salsa or our Avocado Lime Crema would both be delicious.
- If you like a hard shell taco, crisp up your tortillas on the skillet for a few minutes before adding your fish and the other toppings. You could even throw the tortillas on a grill pan to get some extra authentic-looking grilled tortillas.
- Cooking fish is a little different than cooking chicken or other meats you may be comfortable with, but don’t be nervous! What you are looking for in a fully cooked fish is a flaky texture and an opaque fish. You can also grab your meat thermometer and make sure that the fish has reached 145 degrees.
What should I serve with Tilapia Fish Tacos?
You could serve a large number of things with this light and delicious dish but here are a few suggestions.
Try a cilantro lime flavored rice that will pair well with the crema and give an extra pop of flavor. You could also serve a fruit salad, chips and your favorite salsa, a nice salad, or some pico de gallo.
Let us know what you like eating with your fish tacos!
What types of fish are the best for fish tacos?
While this recipe will leave you biased towards tilapia, you can also try a wide variety of other fish.
Tilapia is great because of the mild flavor, especially if you have picky eaters in your home. It’s also very cost-effective and makes this meal a super budget-friendly one!
If you want to try something new, try a halibut, cod, bass, or other white flaky fish.
What are the benefits of eating fish?
Do you have anyone in your family that is hesitant to eat fish?
Fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and many vitamins and minerals. It can be a really lean and nutrient-dense food to eat.
The American Heart Association actually suggests that you eat fish at least twice a week!
Plus if you have some picky eaters, tilapia is a great way to start because of its mild flavor.
Can I save the leftovers from fish tacos?
You are not going to want to save a taco fully made, because the juice will run into the tortilla and leave you with a soggy mess.
Your best bet is to save the fish in an air-tight container in the fridge. It will last for a few days and you can reheat and assemble the tacos again when you are ready to eat them.
To reheat, bake in preheated oven for a few minutes until they are heated through. Once hot, you can crisp up some tortillas and have these delicious tilapia fish tacos all over again!
Can I grill tilapia for this recipe?
If you are having a grill day, you can definitely grill the tilapia for these tacos!
Since tilapia can be pretty flaky, you may want to wrap your fish in some tin foil before throwing on the grill.
While the grill is on you could even grill up some pineapple or some other yummy toppings for these tacos!
Share with us in the comments how your Tilapia Fish Taco Recipe turns out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Check out these other great healthy recipes:
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 lb tilapia
- 8 Flour tortillas
- *Optional toppings: Mango Salsa, Avocado Lime Crema, avocados and fresh cilantro.
- In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle both sides of fish with the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fish to the skillet and cook about 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through. The fish is done when it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove the fish from the skillet and let cool for five minutes before slicing for tacos.
- Assemble the tacos by placing fish, and desired toppings in flour tortillas.
Don’t forget to save this Tilapia Fish Taco Recipe on Pinterest so you can find it next time you want a healthy and cheap meal for your family to enjoy!
Michele is a Family Life Educator. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!