If you are looking for daily writing prompts for October these are just what you need. These 50 October writing prompts will help inspire your young writers to imagine and explore and develop a love of writing.
October Journal Prompts
This month with our journal prompts for kids we are focusing on everything fall and Halloween! It’s a great time for kids to talk about pumpkins, fears, and favorites when it comes to Halloween and fall. With over 50 October writing prompts to choose from there is one that every child will want to write about each day.
If you missed our August writing prompts or September writing prompts be sure to grab them too! And of course, our fall writing prompts for kids!
How to use these prompts
Use these October writing prompts to encourage your child or your students to get writing. Print out the cards, laminate them for extra durability, and use them over and over again!
Pass out a card to each student. Let them journal write about that topic for a given amount of time.
Once the time is up, collect them and store them. The next day, pull them out and pass them out again. With over 50 prompts your whole class will have a different prompt to write about all month long.
October Writing Prompts
- What was your most favorite Halloween costume and why?
- What is your favorite type of Halloween candy?
- Describe a memory of going to the pumpkin patch
- What is your favorite scary story and why?
- What is one thing you are scared of?
- What would you do if you heard a weird sound in the basement?
- What is your favorite pumpkin-flavored food?
- What is your favorite Halloween tradition?
- How would you describe yourself to someone who has never met you?
- List as many things that you can think of that are orange.
- What is something that you wish you could unsee?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- Write about a time you visited a haunted house and what happened.
- Brainstorm and write down your own ghost story
- What is one thing that made you laugh or smile this week?
- What would you name your scarecrow?
- What is your favorite thing about fall weather?
- Three words that describe this year so far would be….
- What is your favorite Halloween movie and why?
- What is your favorite fall dessert?
- What is something you have always been curious about?
- What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
- Write about a time you pulled a prank on someone and how it went.
- Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not?
- Write about any superstitions you may have.
- Write about the scariest thing that has ever happened to you.
- Write about a fear you had as a child that you no longer have.
- At what age do you think children should stop trick-or-treating?
- Would you spend the night in a cemetery if someone paid you? Why or why not?
- Write about something that sends chills down your spine.
- What would you do if you could suddenly see dead people?
- Write about a good memory from the month of October.
- “It was a dark and stormy night when….”
- Write about what your life would be like as part of the Addams Family
- If you had a flying broomstick, where would you go and why?
- What is your best witch’s brew recipe?
- If you could be invisible like a ghost for one day, what would you do?
- What would you do if your family turned into zombies?
- Make a list of all of your past Halloween costumes that you can remember.
- Write about a time you carved pumpkins
- Explain how and why a leaf changes color in the fall
- What particular smell always makes you think of fall?
- What is your favorite fall sport and why?
- Write down some of the reasons you like/dislike the Halloween holiday.
- Describe the way that leaves sound as you step on them.
- What are your thoughts on daylight savings time? Yay or Nay?
- What are you and your friends/family going to be for Halloween this year?
- Would you rather go through a regular or haunted corn maze and why?
- In your opinion, what is the best way to celebrate Halloween? (party, scary movie, etc.)
- Why is this season called both “fall” and “autumn”? Which do you prefer? Why?
What October journal prompts would you add to the list? Share in the comments!
Check out these other writing prompts!
- Journal prompts for kids
- August Writing Prompts
- Fall Writing Prompts
- September Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Halloween Journal Prompts
- November Writing Prompts
- Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
- December Writing Prompts
- Valentine’s Day Writing Prompts
- Gratitude Journal Prompts
- Kindergarten Journal Prompts
- Christmas Writing Prompts
- Couples Journal Prompts
Check out these fun games for kids!
- Family Charades
- Truth or Dare for Kids
- Truth or Dare over text
- Never Have I Ever for kids
- Who’s Most Likely To
1 thought on “50 October Writing Prompts”
This is exactly what I needed! Looking forward to using some of these for my daughter.