We are coming into my favorite season: kid’s football games, cooler weather, cute shirts with cardigans, and warm dishes for dinner, which means it is soup season! Chicken Corn Chowder is one of my families favorite recipes and we are sharing it with all of you today!
Chicken Corn Chowder
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: around 40 minutes
This makes enough soup for my family of 2 adult, and 4 kids with leftovers
4 tsp of olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 russet potatoes peeled and chopped in small cubes
1 cup of sliced carrots
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
4 tsp of garlic
2 (4 ounce) cans mild diced green chilies
6 cups of chicken broth
3 cups of frozen corn
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ cup of flour
4 cups of milk (I always use skim or 1%)
About 5 cups of cooked chicken (you can use more or less depending on your preference)
2- 2 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese
½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in large pot on a medium to high heat. Add the onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, and pepper. Cook this until it begins to soften. It takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Green chilies and garlic cook for one more minute.
- Next, add chicken broth and have this all boil, then reduce the heat to a low for 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn and cook for 3 minutes.
- In a bowl or shaker container add your milk and flour and shake til smooth. Make sure to add the milk first so the flour doesn’t clump at the bottom.
- Pour milk mixture into soup slowly while whisking. Add salt and Pepper. Continue cooking while whisking until the soup thickens. This takes about 20 minutes or so.
- Stir in chicken (or turkey or ham, ham is my favorite after we have a spiral ham), cheese, and the cayenne pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
What are your favorite soup recipes? Share them in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning by clicking on these links and purchasing a product, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. If you choose to support our blog in this way we would be very grateful! For more details visit our disclosure page.
Michele is a Family Life Educator. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!