As #1 would say life over here has been cray cray with school starting, early morning football practices, late night football practices and games, baseball practices, and trying to squeeze in family time in the middle of all that! Throw in midnight feedings twice a night and I am running on a prayer and Diet Coke!
I wanted to bring you one last summer favorite that my family loves for your last BBQ before the weather changes and it becomes fall/ winter. Growing up Grandma Betty was known for a few things: her apple pie, her caramel corn, and her potato salad! We loved when she would bring it down and we could all enjoy it! Well… After years of practicing I am happy to report I have finally mastered it and I am sharing the recipe with you today!
Grandma Betty’s Secret Potato Salad Recipe
5 pounds of russet potatoes
12 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium can of olives, diced
¾ of a jar of diced SWEET pickles, diced (Only use sweet, you’ll thank me later!)
Salt to Taste
1- 1 ½ cups of Miracle Whip (Do not use any other mayo… Trust me I have tried because I don’t even like miracle whip, except in this salad. Nothing else makes it taste right.)
- The night before you are planning to make this salad cook the potatoes with the skins on in a large pot. You will want your potatoes to be soft enough that you can stab them with a fork, but not mushy. While these are cooking go ahead and hard boil your eggs. When the potatoes and the eggs are done go ahead and put them in the fridge overnight with the potato skins still on and the shells still on the eggs. You could do both of these steps the day you make the salad, but the key is allowing them to cool before chopping your potatoes and building your salad.
- Remove the potatoes and the eggs from the fridge and peel the potatoes and the eggs.
- Cut up the potatoes in ½ inch cubes and throw them in your bowl. Cut the eggs in 12ths (halve the egg and then cut each half in 6 pieces) and throw them in also.
- Dice up the red onion, the olives, and the pickles. So my Grandma always did this by hand and the pieces were always the same size. I think she might not love the fact that I throw them in a chopper, but hey! It’s mom life… And it tastes the same, so whichever you choose, dice by hand or with the chopper! Add these to the bowl.
- Now sprinkle some salt. Not a lot because you can always add more, but you can’t take it out.
- Add 1 cup of Miracle Whip to the salad and stir it in. Combine all the ingredients really well.
- Now you need to taste it… Does it need more salt? How about more mayonnaise? Add a little bit more and continue to taste for the perfect mixture. Some people like it more moist, we don’t in our house so we usually only use 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise, your family might like more.
- When you have found the perfect balance cover and place in the fridge for several hours. This is key… The longer it sits the more the flavors will combine together for the perfect BBQ addition!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning by clicking on these links and purchasing a product, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. If you choose to support our blog in this way we would be very grateful! For more details visit our disclosure page.