Are you a mom that wants to stay at home with your kids, but you also need to find a way to make money from home? You have come to the right place!
There used to be the common belief that moms either had to stay home with the kids or work outside the home in order to earn money for the family. In today’s world, however, we moms are blessed with a third option of ways to make money from home and stay home with kids.
Whether you’re a work outside the home mom who wants to stay home but needs the income, or you’re a stay-at-home mom who wants your own thing to do and to contribute to the family finances, there are so many legitimate options for you.
Within just one year of staying home with my first baby, I found not one but seven different ways to earn money from home while being a stay at home mom, which we’ll dive into in a little bit.
But first, there are a few pros and cons you should be aware of about being a mom with little kids who also works from home.
Working From Home Pros
As you might imagine, there are many advantages to working from home and being home with your kids. This is especially true if you have the feeling that you don’t want to miss out on your kids’ day-to-day experiences and you enjoy the flexibility that working from home allows.
Work-From-Home Mom Advantages
- There is flexibility to take more family vacations.
- No need to worry about using sick days to go to doctor appointments.
- You are free to create your own schedule and work when it’s best for you.
- You can enjoy the benefits of breastfeeding without pumping at work (if you’re a nursing mama.)
Sounds pretty awesome, right?
Working From Home Cons
However, being a stay-at-home mom who also works from home comes with its own set of unique challenges.
Work-From-Home Mom Disadvantages:
- There’s no set time for work versus being a mom.
- Working in a noisy house is challenging and can feel like a circus.
- It can be hard to create time for anything outside of your roles as mom or work.
- Family is used to you always being available (aka lots of interruptions).
So if those pros outweigh the cons for you, you might be wondering how exactly can a mom make money from home?
How I’ve Earned Money at Home While Being a SAHM
As I mentioned earlier, I was baffled to even find one legitimate way to make money from home. But within my first year of staying at home with my daughter, I found seven different ways. This was game-changing and I hope it can be enlightening for you too.
Here are my 5 favorite ways to make money from home:
- Working as a virtual assistant.
- Starting a blog (like Confessions of Parenting!)
- Freelance writing and editing.
- Writing and self-publishing a book. This is a great resource!
- Using Pinterest!
Yes, you heard that right. Believe it or not, you can use Pinterest as a legitimate work opportunity. If you have your own blog, you learn how to use Pinterest to get more people to visit your website. But even if you don’t have your own site, you can use Pinterest as a tool to get more people to someone else’s website (like I first did)!
Check this out to learn more about all seven ways I found to make money as a stay-at-home mom.
I was so intrigued by this whole idea of legitimately earning money AND being a stay-at-home mom that I started interviewing other moms who were doing the same thing for their family.
More Work From Home Mom Jobs
From interviewing those moms, I’ve learned about many more ways to earn money from home.
Here are 5 more popular ways moms can work from home:
- online tutoring (VIPKID pays this SAHM over $20 per hour!)
- other freelance work like bookkeeping, proofreading, graphic design, website building, or photography
- selling creative products on Etsy and other sites like Etsy
- becoming an Amazon Seller
- direct sales and MLM businesses
You see, whether you want to learn how to make money while pregnant so you can afford to stay home with your baby when she gets here or if you already are a mom and you want to learn how to earn money working from home, there are many ways you can enjoy being mom and earn an income for your family too.
Did you find any ways you want to make money from home with kids? Share them with your friends on Pinterest!
Val Breit was a school counselor turned stay-at-home mom. She crushed over $42,000 in student loans in less than 3 years on a teacher’s salary with her intentional, simple, and frugal lifestyle. Now she’s on a mission to show moms how to make money while pregnant or as a stay-at-home mom, as well as sharing easy ways your family can save money.