This Kale and quinoa salad with lemon vinaigrette will leave your mouth watering. Trade out your usual boring salad for this delicious one full of flavor.
Kale and Quinoa Salad Recipe
Ty and I love a good salad but eating salad night after can get a little boring. So recently we decided to mix up our salads and add a few new ones into our dinner menu, some of our favorites are this shaved brussel sprout salad with pomegranates and this new favorite, Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette dressing.
I love how the Kale and Quinoa just meld so well together! This Kale and Quinoa Salad is hearty because of the quinoa and is super healthy.
I love eating it alone or as a side salad along with a chicken breast or a piece of fish.
Kale and Quinoa Salad Recipe
Total time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
For the Salad:
One bunch Kale- rinsed, trimmed and chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 apple, any varietal, sliced or chopped
¼ cup sliced or chopped red onion
1 cup pomegranate perils
For the Dressing:
½ cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
Salt and Pepper to taste
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. READ OUR DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE.
You’ll also want to have the following tools to make it easier:
How to Make this Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
The first thing you will need to do when making this Kale and Quinoa Salad is to cook the quinoa. You want to do this because you want to give the quinoa a chance to cool before you mix it with your salad. Sometimes I cook my quinoa earlier in the day and put it in the fridge until I am ready to make the salad later that night.
Next, you will want to prepare all the ingredients for your Kale and Quinoa Salad. Be sure to wash and dry all the vegetables really well.
Then you will want to chop, crumble and cool the ingredients.
Once you have prepared all the ingredients, you will combine them all in a large bowl and toss them together.
For the lemon vinaigrette dressing
For the lemon vinaigrette dressing, combine the juice from the lemon, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Whisk this really well until it is combined and then drizzle over your prepared salad.
Tips and tricks for Kale and Quinoa Salad
- Mason jar salad! This kale and quinoa salad is a perfect salad jar recipe! To make this salad jar kale quinoa salad just add your lemon vinaigrette at the bottom and top with the salad ingredients. When ready to eat, give it a shake and you are ready to eat a delicious salad.
- Make your quinoa ahead of time! Put it in the fridge in a sealed container so it’s ready for your salad. If you need to cool it quickly, spread it in a thin layer on a plate and pop it in the fridge for ten minutes.
- Prepare your kale by washing thoroughly, patting dry, and chopping very small. Many suggest massaging your kale before serving, but if it’s cut small you should be able to skip this step!
- If you are serving to guests, try rainbow kale! It will add a beautiful color and appearance to your salad.
- Though you can use whatever apple you have around, try Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples. They have a great crisp texture and tart flavor that will be the perfect addition.
- Since this kale and quinoa salad is pretty complex with flavor, you want a really simple dressing. If you want an even simpler one than our delicious lemon vinaigrette, drizzle some lemon juice straight on your salad and toss with a little bit of oil. Easy dressing!
How can you make kale less bitter for a salad?
With these amazing flavors, you are going to love the addition of Kale.
However, if you are worried about the bitterness of kale, you can always soak your kale in ice water! The cold water will help make the flavor milder.
At the very least, try pulling your kale from the fridge last minute to ensure that cool crisp flavor.
How long does this Kale and Quinoa Salad last?
All these yummy vegetables can last up to a week in the fridge, especially set on a bed of towels to lessen moisture.
If you want to store your salad, I highly adding your chopped apples as well as the dressing right before you serve. The salad will keep much better on its own.
Once you add the apples and the dressing this salad does not store as well. The apples tend to brown and the dressing tends to make the kale quinoa salad soggy.
How long does the lemon dressing last?
This delicious lemon vinaigrette will last in your fridge for about 2 weeks!
Just keep it in a sealed container, like Tupperware or mason jars, and it will keep great refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
How do you wash kale for a salad?
After removing the stems, submerge your kale in some cold water. You could add a splash of vinegar to the water to get the kale extra clean.
After submerging for a few minutes, remove the kale and rinse under cold tap water. Pat dry before chopping for your salad.
Should you massage kale before using it?
You may have heard that it is a good idea to massage your kale before eating. Kale can have a bit of a rough texture.
You are welcome to massage it if you would like, but if you chop it nice and small that step is going to be unnecessary for this yummy Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
Share with us in the comments how your Kale and Quinoa Salad turns out! And tag us on Instagram with a picture of your recipe! We would love to see it!
Check out these other great healthy recipes:
Don’t forget to save this Kale and Quinoa Salad Recipe on Pinterest so you can find it next time you want a unique and delicious salad!
Michele is a Family Life Educator with her degree in marriage and family studies. She is a mom to 5 kids and loves helping others strengthen their families! When she is not blogging she is spending time with her family and running around drinking Diet Coke trying to get everything done!